July 12, 2009

Wasting Time

I hate wasting time! Even worse, I end up wasting more time while worrying about time.. If it is the journey that we must focus on, I am not sure how 'not' to waste time. Often times when I'm reading an article for my research, I can't help but sway in my mind about the many ideas that could be developed from the ideas that I'm reading, and how these relate to my research and to that other paper by that other author, whom... umm, wait.. what was his original theory? Let's google him.. Read this wiki, okay press on that link, and this one too because you must understand the origin of the thoughts.. and it goes on and on until you decide 'okay!' we must go back to where we were..
It is utterly frustrating to go through such a journey every minute of every day.. Although I sometimes enjoy the ride.. I gain new insights, it put things into perspectives, I write adding more ideas to the list of 'ideas to explore' that I already have.. It definitely helps you understand things more deeply, and sometimes in a wider sense too.. You do get a lot of encouragement and drive once your brain shoot off to La La Land! Visualizing the many papers published on this seemingly 'original' ideas, and then of course presenting such papers in conferences.. Sometimes it even shoots further more towards the moon and visualize the receipt of a Noble prize or a similar award! Yes, the brain could be that deceiving..
Then you get a wake-up shock to reality probably by an announcement 15 minutes prior to closing the order catalogue, or an uncomfortable stare by your neighbor..
I wonder how much should we give in to those dreamy shifts that we encounter on a daily basis, and how much should we resist being swayed in those dreams.. Whatever the decision, at the end of the day, it is indeed the journey that must be enjoyed and benefited from rather than the focus to reach one destination.. For, in a journey you may change the direction and it is important to keep the 'antennas' alert! Sometimes the heart senses that which the brain cannot comprehend. I find refuge in believing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment